Build rapport with people unlike you though conversation and body language. Understand others’ agenda to get idea blockers on side
All business is conducted between people - not businesses. Therefore an ability to build on-going profitable relationships, internally and externally, is crucial to accelerating your own success. Building rapport is often described as the most valuable of all business skills - people respond positively to those they 'get-on' with and react negatively to those they don't.
Your new strengths and abilities
- Increased self-awareness - one key to personal success. Observing, understanding and responding to (rather than choosing to ignore) verbal and non-verbal signals.
- Using smart persuasion to clinch the 'impossible' deal.
- Strong team builder so able to generate increased staff loyalty.
- Idea-blockers on side - able to turn conflict into strong ideas that the whole team supports..
- You seek out 'win-win' solutions everywhere.
- Leave behind fewer corpses in your wake.
- Turning negative thinking into positives.
- Appreciation of 'towards' and 'away from' thinkers.
- Awareness of risk - if ideas don't stand up to aggressive attack then it's time for a re-think anyway.
- Differentiating between fact and supposition.
- Awareness of big picture and detail thinkers and the different types of contribution made by different people.
- Encouraging healthy debate - setting ground rules.
- Defining the scope of any meeting.
- Encouraging zany ideas that can be shaped later.
- Ability to coach 'difficult' people (who may not actually turn out be anything like as difficult as you might have first been thinking).
Did you know?
93% of communication is non-verbal.
Rapport building is just another skill to be learnt. Change in the individual is usually stunning. It can open up potential like no other area of 1-2-1 coaching and almost invariably leads to rapid improvement in the individual's relationships with internal and external stakeholders. 'Blockers' frequently turn out to be the most loyal of all staff. They may have unconsciously adopted an over-protective role. So called 'negative thinkers' can make great risk assessors saving your business many thousands of pounds.
Who would benefit?
Those tasked with creating profitable relationships inside and outside of your business.
To discuss a current or potential need, contact Robin Johnson at OvationXL on 0845 260 7700 or
Adding value to help secure my future
As businesses constantly evolve, some people get left behind. Businesses constantly adapt to ever-changing markets, the threat of declining revenues, shorter product life cycles and the need for performance improvement efficiencies… …read more about this topic
Most successful managers are also successful leaders, motivating people towards achieving their organisation's strategic and commercial objectives. Many people are promoted purely because of their professional competence… …read more about this topic
Waste of time management
Unsurprisingly time management is a top theme for a great many leaders and senior managers. How we use our time is a critical skill if we are to consistently achieve the results we need in the workplace… …read more about this topic